22 November, 2011

'Sari' for the Pun...

"Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have." ~Steven Wright

What a busy and wonderful weekend! I believe in Hindi I would say it was 'bindaas', fantastic. Friday night I went to my very first Indian Wedding, a Hindu South Indian Wedding. It was a friend of a friend's wedding, so I tagged along and thoroughly enjoyed the new experience. This I will show in my next blog post to compile the pictures of the ceremony.

Saturday I went to a few other shops I had yet to visit, City Center and Westside, going with a colleague. Browsed selections of kurties, suits (these are dress like items in India, versus the American suit term as meaning a jacket and trousers). I learned from this friend that the term 'vest' in India means a white undershirt. I had pointed to an item that was button up and sleeveless that you wear on the outside of a dress shirt and said it was a nice vest, an American term apparently, and she started laughing and asked me if I called that a vest. Additionally, I mentioned that Americans will call speaking Spanish mixed with English 'Spanglish,' and apparently in India there is something called 'Hinglish,' a mix of English and Hindi. However, the lesser known 'Spindi', is a mix of Spanish and Hindi, which I believe is a VERY recent development in the Indian lingual system (hint hint...). In this type of language, people say things like 'Hola yaar!' and 'Como estas yaar?' and 'Kyaa hal hai, amigo/a?'

Saturday night went with a friend to Shilpa Ramam, a center to preserve traditional Telugu arts and crafts, culture and language. I saw traditional Telugu dance for the first time, unfortunately I don't have pictures, but the women were dressed in clothing styles of several hundred years ago. Brightly colored silks and fabrics, henna, jewelry, and stage make-up. I was told that it takes many years to learn this kind of dance, because it is very difficult, and every movement of the body and facial expression means something. Then I saw some traditional hand crafted goods, wood carvings, art, small statues of gods, jewelry, etc. There were some nice paths to walk around at the place, and I really love weather here at night. Everyone keeps saying how cold it's getting, but I personally think it's perfect weather, pretty similar to Minnesota weather at night in the summer. Also, because it's not the monsoon season anymore, the weather is much drier.

Sunday I wore a sari for the first time. I borrowed it and had help wrapping it by the auntie at my hostel. It's quite a difficult garment to wear, every movement is a very conscious one with all of the folds of fabric. It takes practice to walk and carry it. The sari I wore was a very elegant one, and is featured below. I wore this for a lunch outing at a community gathering sort of event.

Sunday night took my first boat ride with a friend on the lake Hussain Sagar to the Buddha statue in the middle of the lake, also featured below.

First experience in a sari. It is a very elegant feeling wearing a sari, but also takes a good deal of skill to make any sort of movement.

Process of tying the sari, with help from the Auntie.

Just another pic of very typical day to day Indian wear. 


My new 'slippers,' or sandals as they would be called in America.

This bike is how I've been getting to and from work. I like to think I'm just a little bit badass. 

This outfit I wore to the wedding with a dupatta (not shown here). It is a patiala suit, and I believe this style of patiala is also called harlem, to be worn with a kurtie/kurta.


View of Hussain Sagar shore from the boat. The road around the lake is called Necklace Road because from above the lights around the lake resemble a necklace.

View of Birla Mandir Temple from Buddha Statue on Hussain Sagar.


In front of the 17 meter high Buddha Statue. It is the largest monolithic statute of Gautam Buddha in India, carved out of a SINGLE slab of granite rock by 40 sculptors. The lights on it rotate colors, very pretty to observe at night.


Theek hai, that's a 'wrap'! You, know, because of the whole sari thing and all...


P.S. *Disclaimer #1: No, I don't actually drive a bike to work...yet :)
**Disclaimer #2: I have personally coined the phrase 'Spindi,' which is not actually an international term yet, but I believe will catch on very rapidly in the near future, as I am currently promoting the use of the slang.


"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."
~Virginia Woolf



2 comments:

  1. looking very beautiful in sareee....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post.Thanks for Sharing this in your blog.Book your tickets for Hyderabad in Patel Travels

    ReplyDelete